Monday, February 2, 2015

Here's to Clean Slate Mondays!

So, most of us start a clean slate on Monday - you know it's true! Especially after Super Bowl Sunday. In honour of the I'll-start-my-diet-Monday-tradition, I decided it was a good time to share some recipes I have had the pleasure of coming across. 

1. CHICKEN CABBAGE STIR FRY found circulating FaceBook (posted below). 
MY recipe worked out to be 324 calories/serving - which was half of the recipe. 
I actually added some peppers and onions to the recipe - for some added umph and heartiness. 
3 chicken breast halves
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
3 cups green cabbage, shredded
1 tablespoon cornstarch

1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
1⁄2 cup water
1 tablespoon soy sauce


Directions
1. Cut chicken breasts into strips.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan.
3. Add chicken strips and stir fry over medium-high heat, turning constantly until done.
4. Add cabbage and sauté 2 minutes until cabbage is crisp-tender.
5. Mix cornstarch and seasonings; add water and soy sauce, and mix until smooth.
6. Stir sauce into chicken/cabbage mixture.
7. Cook until sauce has thickened and chicken is coated, about 1 minute.



MY recipe worked out to be 82 calories/serving. 
This recipe can be a bit time consuming, especially if you're cooking for a large crowd, as you have to roll each spear individually. I would not plan to have this on a busy evening. There is a sauce recipe available to go with the asparagus, which I did not use.  Since the side requires some prep time, keep the main part of your dish simple. I paired it with the recipe below. 




MY recipe worked out to be approximately 165 calories/piece of chicken. 
Simple yet delicious! The chicken is very moist and flavourful. Best part, it is a crock pot recipe - throw it on and leave it be. 





With a side of brown rice, one roll made for a 500 calorie supper. 
Little high on calories, however - it will vary depending on steak size. It's definitely worth it - for a special occasion or treat night. I didn't bother with the shallots. I would also be careful with some of the higher sodium ingredients and either cut back on them or cut them out. For example - instead of beef broth, I used Blue Menu Chicken Broth which I purchase at The Super Store, as it is very low in sodium. 


5. CILANTRO LIME CHICKEN WITH ZUCCHINI NOODLES from Mouth Watering Foods
MY recipe worked out to be 200 calories/serving. 
For this recipe, I didn't have hot peppers - it was just fine without them. I also did not have any special gadgets so I just cut my zucchini thin.  














6. SMOTHERED CHICKEN from She Knows 
MY recipe worked out to be 141 calories per serving 
Yum! Especially if you like dijon mustard. If you do not, as it does have a strong flavour, I would cut back on that ingredient. I ate this on its own, but you may want to pair it with some rice or another side. 



Hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I have...
Happy Clean Slate Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment