Sunday, February 22, 2015

#Adulting

There is a new word that seems to be spreading like wildfire, and I quite enjoy this word myself. Adulting - as I'm sure you guessed, is to act like or to become an adult. Basically, it is to take on mundane, boring or unenjoyable tasks and responsibilities of an adult. Grammar Girl, Mignon Fogarty posts that adulting is not yet in the mainstream dictionary, and wasn't added to the urban dictionary until 2014. Yet, the word adulting shows up on Twitter 100 times/day and is widely used in social media. I recently discovered there is actually a book on adulting by Kelly Williams Brown - Adulting: How to Become an Adult in 468 Easy(ish) Steps.



Many people think they are adults - but those of you sleeping until noon, playing video games, living off Mommy and Daddy or student loans, and partying most nights...I hate to burst your pretty little bubble, but you are not adulting.


When I first went to stock my college apartment, I made a wonderful list and grabbed everything I thought I needed. However, upon returning to my apartment and plunking my ass down on my toilet, I realized I forgot toilet paper. How did I forget toilet paper? Now I had to get dressed and head back into the city for some TP. I spiraled into an entire epiphany I call, Ode to TP. TP was always just there, it always just appeared. I may have picked it up once or twice before...but I never put much thought into it and clearly not when I was making my list. Funny how we progress through life and TP seems to just appear.


From then on - it was non stop concerns, visits to big kid places like the bank, Service NB, Service Canada, etc. Do you feel my pain? Adulting is hard...and, it does not get any easier. It's like a non-stop roller-coaster of difficulty until you die. That doesn't even seem right. One you realize you have stepped onto this adulting rollar-coaster, there are limited ways of getting off - and especially none that do not require a huge loss of pride and probably significant assistance from your parents. Most of us refuse to go there...#Adulting.

Signs you're adulting...
- Asking for socks for Christmas
- Thank you notes (enough said)
- Buying grandparent gifts - your name is no longer put on one!
- Wearing clothes...daily.
- Dish and laundry piles reproduce all on their own...like rabbits.
- Making lunches
- Washing walls...wtf?!

Are there any positives of adulting?...Well yes, of course there are - but it takes a long time to realize that. In the beginning there are only...Adult beverages!


Speaking of which - adult beverages were part of my weekend plans. I had kick ass plans of heading to Lewiston for a much anticipated concert, in which I intended on sharing every enjoyable detail with you faithful viewers. WARNING - let me prepare you now - there are no funny stories, photos or memorable moments below. Why you ask? To put it simply - Winter 2015.

The weather was not looking very promising - it appeared as though we would be in the eye of the storm both to and from. Mind you - the tickets were not expensive, so I'm not out much except the opportunity to see Theory of a Deadman AND Bush - LIVE! Therefore, this event was in fact not just $30, but priceless.

I very rarely and I mean VERY rarely do anything for myself these days. #Adulting! I was pretty impressed that dead of winter, most expensive season of the year - I booked a concert. I was not only excited to see the artist themselves, but to go on a little trip, spend the night, go out to eat...just enjoy myself.

We had to make a big kid decision...probably at 19-20, I would not have had a care or concern in the world and bombed my way to Lewiston, bouncing from one snow bank and ditch to another. However, I am almost 30 now, and a more mature decision must be made. They say this happens - somewhere between 20 and 30, this thing they call adulting. I think it's safe to say I made the deadline.


While I was a miserable whine ass about not being able to go to my concert - there were many signs that we shouldn't be going. Both Becca and I had other events we really needed to attend. Not going, also meant I wasn't spending money I really didn't have. Yup, I've made the deadline. #Adulting.

I think in the final days of my 20's (187 to be exact) I should purchase this book and make sure I haven't missed any steps...or maybe just hide out under my bed sheet fort.


No comments:

Post a Comment