Sunday, February 15, 2015

Valentine's Day Splurge

I don't know about you, but my Valentine's Day splurge calls for some major intervention. I must be honest, I'm a bit nervous about weigh-in this week, at which I'm trying to hit my 15lb. loss.

A friend and I went out for supper. I ordered a Turkey Club with a baked potato. Potatoes are my favourite - mashed, baked, fried - any way. Love me some potatoes! I was so excited about my baked potato that I forked it right to me and then only ate one of the quarters of my sandwich. However, if we're being honest here - I may have sampled one too many items from the sampler plate appetizer we also ordered. It was after all Valentine's Day, but we did decide not to pack up the left overs to come home and tempt us.

Did I add that this was technically Friday - and not yet Valentine's Day?! Which means the real Valentine's Day brought many of its own treats with it such as Cadbury and Reese's, chocolate dipped strawberries and more. Oh my!

The only thing that can make this worse is...Yup, you betcha - another snow day. We all know about the Snow Day rut, right? Netflix, sacking out on the couch and snacking. I fear we shall never recover.

So Clean Start Monday is vital! I could use all the support I can get to get back on track after this doozy. I'd like to do the same for you...Here are some of the successful recipes I've recently enjoyed:

Lunch of the Week - Wrapless Wrap (no link)
I had an excellent lunch this week. I drew inspiration from this photo on Pinterest, which did not lead to a recipe. I am calling it The Wrapless Wrap. I took a piece of turkey, spread a thin layer of mayo and stacked up my favourites - lettuce, onions, peppers and swiss cheese. Then I rolled it up, stabbed it with a toothpick and packed it up with a fork and knife. I only made one and paired it with a cup of grapes - which I did not need since the wrapless wrap was quite filling for only 150 calories.



Turnip Fries
I actually did not like this, but that doesn't mean you will not. I had never tried turnip, but most often I don't mind raw or slightly crisped vegetables so I thought I may like them in fry form - however, I did not. If you do like turnip, give it a try! If you search Turnip fries, there are a variety of seasoning ideas and you can find one to suit your personal preferences.

Coleslaw
We used this link for a mayo-less coleslaw. We did change up a few things - such as using honey opposed to Splenda. We also purchased a pre-made coleslaw package instead of going through the process of purchasing and cutting up the recommended vegetables. It was delicious and a nice change for a side dish. Since the vegetables are crispy, it stays well for a few days and is actually even better the following day once it sits.


Pizza Chicken Bake
What a treat! I only used 2 pepperoni's to cut down on sodium. We combined the chicken with 2 oz's of whole wheat spaghetti, which created a delicious supper that did not feel like "diet food" at all! You could top the chicken with whatever pizza toppings you enjoy - pineapple, ham, onions, peppers, etc. I also used a cast iron pan to sear the chicken so I could just pop it in the oven and cut back on dishes. Loved it!


Skinny Buffalo Chicken
This recipe was for Thursday Treat Night - still low in calories, sugars, sodium and carbs yet yummy! Definitely a pin win.



BEST RECIPE OF THE WEEK - Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
Our Valentine's Day Supper certainly did NOT disappoint. Combined with a side of garlic green beans, it made for a 300 calorie supper. I can't even begin to express how good this chicken is. It really put a cramp in my need for Chinese - it was the best sweet and sour chicken I have ever had! We of course used honey opposed to sugar and all low-sodium items (ketchup, soy sauce, etc.)



Cauliflower Garlic Cheese Fingers
Another treat-night-recipe-that-did-not-seem-like-a-treat...No words. Sharing this recipe equally was a mere 52 calories. We even grabbed a Blue Menu marinara for dipping. We combined it with a Blue Menu tomoato and spinach pizza for another 300 calorie supper that seemed too good to be true!


If you feel yourself slipping and need a little treat to curve some temptations - then the last two recipes are for you! Now, start preparing for Clean Slate Monday...






No comments:

Post a Comment